Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Crockpot Taco Soup (and maybe a slight breakdown)

Since I'm riding the bench for the foreseeable future thanks to a super awesome bulging disc (more about this later), I'm having to be super careful about my caloric intake.  I'm not slaying it in the gym 5-6 times a week, so I can't eat like I was earlier this year (all good foods, but a little more volume to support my working out).  This.sucks.a lot.  So, to the kitchen I go, and in my world - the easier the better!  I made this on a whim today, and we may have a new addition to the Hutcherson Menu!

All I did was brown a pound of beef, and seasoned it with 1/2tsp coriander, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1tsp garlic powder,1tsp chili powder, and S&P.   I didn't cook it all the way, and dumped it and the juice into my crockpot.  I then added a whole (chopped) orange and yellow bell pepper (I can't eat green and red, we do not get along), a chopped onion and a whole bag of shredded carrots (I may have overbought carrots when trying to make a cake this weekend...this overpurchase may have prompted this recipe).  The last addition was three cans of fire-roasted tomatoes.  Set on low and let simmer all day.  Top with avocado, a squeeze of lime - perfection!   The big kid also liked this, so that was an added bonus! **If you like a lot of flavor, which I do, I would add the above spices again and stir in before cooking.  It needed more punch, I thought!**


I won't win any photography awards with this picture, but it was super yummy!

Back to my back.  I am about to head to the pool so I won't stay on here to complain too long, but it effing SUCKS to have this issue.  Like, I'm full on wanting to throw a huge temper tantrum about it.  I already deal with chronic back pain due to my crooked back, but this is a whole other level that I was and am truly not prepared to deal with.  It's so hard to have my workout plan for Hawaii completely wiped out, and for me to swallow the "it will be a 6-8 month recovery" news.  Seriously?  I'm trying to not totally lose my shit over all of this, and I know in the grand scheme of things it will be ok, but right now I just want to kick and scream.  It's already hard enough to keep from blowing up to 400 lbs, and now I have to be hyper vigilant about what goes in my mouth because I'm not able to do much more than walk in the water.  Some days...life ain't fair.  Whomp Whomp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means the world!