Wednesday, March 20, 2013

1st Day of Spring


Happy 1st Day of Spring!  This weather is amazing, I have new flowers and got a killer workout in this evening.  I'm a pretty happy girl.

So, as far as working out is going - every day is better and better.  I'm still a little sore from surgery, but I feel like my strength and endurance is growing.  Confession: I totally had a moment at the gym the other day where I caught myself wondering around and not really doing anything.  I felt really overwhelmed.  I hate having to jack with the machines or try and remember correct form.  So, I decided to bite the bullet and remedy that.  I contacted my good friend and hired him one day a week to kick my rear.  I conned my mother into joining me, too!  I wasn't going to do it alone, and well..there is no escaping my mother so she is a good accountability partner.  I'd never hear the end of it if I bailed.  What sounds like a fairly easy workout totally has given me jelly legs so bad!  Here is a pretty good breakdown of what we did:

Warmup: High knees, butt kicks and jumping jacks

Workout:
Do 2 touch down for cardio in between each round of weighted work

Squat to hammer curl three rounds one minute around
Three rounds for one minute: Bullwinkle overhead press
Three rounds: Triceps overhead press 45 seconds
Three rounds: Reverse lunge  single leg 45 second per leg
Three rounds: Med ball slam with partner or to a wall 45 seconds
Three rounds: Lateral med ball toss with partner or to a wall 45 seconds

A few things were figured out today:
1.  I throw like a girl (sorry, ladies.  I do)
2.  I'm TOTALLY out of shape
3.  Having someone coach me is going to be the best decision.  I totally do better when someone does the (workout) thinking for me.

Anywho...I made a pretty awesome dinner tonight!  It's Gluten Free!  Here is the recipe for Apple & Sage Pork Chops:

4 boneless pork chops, 1 inch thick
1 1/2 tsp sage
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/2 Paprika
1 TBSP Flour (I used Almond)
1 tsp salt (i'd probably use more next time)
Olive Oil (I actually used my coconut oil, and it was awesome)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 apples, diced
1/2 cup of apple juice
1 TBSP brown sugar (I probably used less?)

1.  Mix all of the spices and flour into a bowl.  Sprinkle both sides of pork chops with the mixture

2.  Cook pork chops in oil on hot skillet until browned on both sides.  Remove and place on plate.  Add onion; cook for 3 minutes until tender.  Add apples; cook for 2 or so minutes

3.  Stir in apple juice, sugar and remaining seasonings until well mixed.  Return pork chops to the skillet.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until desired doneness



There were no leftovers. 

Let me know if you try it!  It will be a staple in our house, for sure.  I might try using chicken tenders instead of pork next time?  Any other suggestions?

I hope you are all enjoying the lovely weather!  Cheers until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means the world!