Sunday, May 5, 2013

No Heels, Not Many Hills and a PR!

Wow - what an amazing race I just had!!!  Personal Record of 41:19!!! I am loving life right now!!! 

Besides the chilly wind, this morning was perfect for a good 5k at Heels and Hills.  I really didn't have any race day jitters this time, and felt really relaxed about the whole process.  Seeing as just a few months ago I could barely walk because I was so sick, I was just so happy today to be back out there. I wasn't putting any pressure on myself other than to just have a good run.  In the back of my mind I was thinking "hey, it would be cool to PR again", but since I had done ZERO long distance runs since Surgery Bonanza 2013 I really wasn't sure that was possible.  I just put my tunes on and headed out, me and my Sole Sistas (the group I was pacing myself with).  I told Mandy to just go and don't wait for me.  I knew she would be faster and I didn't want her to do anything but her best for her very first race!  Sure enough, the bestie smoked me, and came in 61st place with a finish of 36:02!  She's a rockstar!


I only time I hit a snag was at mile 2.  I screwed up on my breathing and it took a bit to get it caught again.  Breathing is my biggest obstacle, and something I need to continue to practice.  My shins and calves felt pretty awesome, and I honestly felt the fastest I'd been since starting this whole running journey.  I was concentrating on working my intervals (per Coach Misty), and that really helped me stay on pace and not get frustrated.  I was alternating between a 4 minute run/1 min(ish) walk and 2 minute run/1 min walk and I was moving!  It was much better than beating myself up to run the whole thing.  I think knowing that a walk was in my near future kept me more apt to run faster when I needed to.  Before I knew it, I was turning the corner, turning it up and finishing strong through the "start line" (funny - they set the balloon up wrong, and the finish said start.  Made me laugh, anyway!)  I might be acting like a bad ass right now, but I really think I could've done a 10K and been ok!  Maybe that will be my next goal?  I feel like I could do anything right now, but that could be the runners high talking hahaha!


So, what is different this time around? Well - it's May and chilly.  The last race I did was in muggy, hot September.  I am about 15 or so pounds lighter than I was then, too, and a lot leaner.  (Thanks, Spike)  Strength training has helped a lot, and the core exercises I've suffered through (Thanks, Spike) has helped my back, too.   I think if I had focused on endurance training, while incorporating the things I did do, I would have broken 40 mins for sure.  I also have earbuds that don't fall out and distract me, and a badass playlist that kept me jamming all the way through.  All in all, things were just great and I couldn't be happier to add this bib to my "Wall of Awesome"!!
And here is a pic with me and Misty - all of those races above I did because of her and I thank her for it so much!  She's been such a source of inspiration and information and I am lucky to have her cheering me on!  She PRed today, too, and ran an incredible 13.1.  I'm proud of her, too, and I can't wait to see her take Ironman Tahoe by storm this fall!!

Here is to many more miles together....Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means the world!