Monday, May 27, 2013

I'll try anything...once.

I've been at a plateau weight and motivation wise for some time now.

It's so frustrating.

Part of me wants to give up and say "Hey, where you are isn't so bad and it's not 45 pounds heavier, so just chill here."  The other part is PISSED that I haven't reached certain goals that I previously set and is ready to freakin get the show on the road.

So, while the first part is moaning and complaining, my other half sent a shout out on Facebook about other workout options.  It is no lie that I hate my current gym.  I mean, it's never done anything to me personally, but I just really don't like to go.  I've visited other gyms and even came close to buying a membership somewhere else, but it just didn't feel right.

An old high school buddy, one that has known me since my Umbro-shorts wearing days, invited me to come try a class at the dance studio she goes to 6 times a week (no lie.  Like, she's there a whole lot), and at first I was like...ehhhhh.  Dance class?  In Grand Prairie?  Where is she trying to take me, what are we going to be doing, is this a good (read, safe) idea?  But, the good thing about knowing J so long is that I know she wouldn't waste her time going somewhere that sucks.  Plus, she's lookin' pretty hot these days, too, so I figured what the hell.  Maybe I should step out of my old comfort zone and try something new.  I sent her a message and asked if she was going to workout on Saturday (today), and she replied yes - AND that she attends two classes back to back while there.

Um.

What?

I didn't want to sound like a wimp, but I seriously was like I'm going to die trying to struggle through two classes.  Anyone that's ever done one serious class knows how hard that can be, and I was signing up for two?  She offered to pick me up, and even let me use one of her punches, so I agreed and said see you in the A.M.

As luck would have it, E decided that last night would be an awesome night to scare the shit out of his mother and have this weird asthma-like breathing nightmare attack at 11:30 pm, keeping us up until close to 1:30 after we got doctors orders and breathing treatments underway.  I also woke up two other times to check and make sure he was still breathing, so I'm pretty sure I had about a grand total of zero hours of sleep.  It was like having a newborn all over again (which is the reason we don't HAVE one of those anymore) and I was dragging ass in a serious way this morning.  I thought about bailing at least 939202 times last night, but I figured it wouldn't do me any good laying around here so I didn't.

I'm really glad I went to class.

Long story short, we did a strength training/cardio mix class and then I got to try Zumba for the first time afterwards.  Um, I seriously love Zumba.  I am by far the worse one in there, and every ounce of my white-girl dancing skillz were out in full force, but it was the most fun I've had working out in a long time.  So much so, that I went and bought 20 classes immediately after we were done!  I was drenched, I had jelly legs and I was so happy to have burned like 600+ calories shaking my thang.  The energy in that class was amazing, and everyone was there to have fun and not take things seriously.  There was also a 29 month pregnant instructor who I felt like was going to pop her water at any given moment, so there was that to keep me entertained, too.  I think I was mostly jealous that she was still moving and grooving that far along in her pregnancy.  Her kiddo will come out dancing for sure.

So, moral of this story is to always try something new.  Seriously, every time I am scared to do it and then finally do - I love it, and want to do more of it.  I feel at some point I will learn that lesson and waste a little less time with things, but for now I'm thankful for a friend that offered me a new opportunity.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means the world!