Sunday, October 28, 2012

Adjustment

I'll start this post with a picture of my back.  Just to get the party started, ya know.  


I've got 99 problems, and a straight spine ain't one...

I've suffered from Scoliosis for about half my life, I think.  I honestly don't remember a time it wasn't an issue.  I'm more than thankful that my parents did NOT opt to place two metal rods in my back or any other crazy surgery they had 15 or so years ago.  I can only imagine how awful that would be.  

I'm pretty lucky, as far as spinal things go, that my vertebrae aren't smashed together and causing even more issues.  My spacing is still there, but Dr. Cindy said if she didn't know this was my x-ray, she would honestly think it was from someone much older.  The body is also an amazing thing - if I didn't show you this picture or show you my "off-ness" (slumped shoulder, one arm appearing longer than the other, etc) you'd probably never know I had this crazy curvature in my back.  I'm cool with how I look now, but my fear as I get older is that I'll be that hunched back old woman.  It truly freaks me out.  I'm way too cute to be a hunchback. 

Have I mentioned how much I like Dr. Cindy and her chiropractic approach?  I've been too one too many quacks, and to say I was hesitant to go to a "granola doctor" (said with all the love in my heart...now) would be an understatement a few months ago.  I really tend to respond to true physical therapy and sports massages best to relieve the almost constant pain I have from my spine.  The quacks tend to yank my neck around, crack it really loud and send me out the door, in no better shape after than I was before.  Dr. Cindy and Co. (from what I can tell thus far) really steer clear of that type of "treatment" and use more PT type of exercises to help their patients.  My biggest issues come from my C7, T8 and L3.  When you look at the list of things they are connected to, it all begins to fall into place.

C7:  Thyroid gland, bursa in the shoulders, elbows - weird, had the thyroid issues and my elbows used to pop all the time and stopped after I was adjusted.

T8:  Spleen, stomach, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, adrenal cortex, small intestine, pyloric valve - well, my poor liver barely survived college, but that wasn't my back's fault.  I have a super touchy stomach, too.  T8 is where the curve is at its worst.

L3: Uterus, bladder, knees, large intestine - hahahahaha seriously?  unhappy, useless, worthless and hateful would be words to describe these.

So, there ya go.  Dr. C has me on fish oil (strawberry lime flavored?  totally bizarre  but whatevs.  I'll take it over tasting like fish) and this other supplement called Simplex F for the time being to see how I do.  Simplex F focuses on healthy production of female hormones and helps promote healthy metabolism.  It also helps with proper thyroid gland function, too.  I hate taking pills, and I'm having to set alarms on my phone to remind myself to take these things, but I'm willing to make the commitment to see if I can turn out of Crazy Town and get back to "normal".  Dr. C said I looked a lot more at peace with things, and was happy I removed that Nuva-ring.  Honestly, I am so glad I did, too.  I'm down to 212, having great runs at the gym and lifting more weight than I was a few weeks ago.  I'm anxious to see if I can keep up this weight loss jump, and finally get out of the 200s.  I know it took years of poor food choices, having babies and hormonal imbalances to get to where I was, but it does feel good to know I'm finally on what I feel is the path back to overall health for myself.  I'm only two pounds away from my next mini-goal, and I can't wait to buy myself some new workout pants when I hit it!  Maybe I can get there by this week, so I'll be extra fine just in time for family pictures on Sunday.  That would be awesome!!  

1 comment:

  1. I love your boobs and butt.

    Oh, and also. YAY to hear you're all about Chiropractic :) My Dad is a chiropractor and I am such a firm believer! So that's awesome and I hope she does wonders for your back!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means the world!