Monday, October 1, 2012

My Village

I have a village.

It really spans past that, though.  I have a friggin Metropolis.

Sean used to give me a hard time about the amount of time I spent on the phone with friends.  Friendship is so important to me.  I love my friends deeply and wholly, and I need that connection in my life to have my cup full. When we had the fire (almost a year ago, so crazy), those friends were our saving grace.  I had texts, calls, emails and visits from near and far all checking in, making sure we were ok.  We had clothes at our doorstep for the children within hours of the event from Sawyer's school.  My then co-workers sent a gift card that next day, and my RNDC buddies chipped in and loved us deeply, too.  We had gifts from unexpected sources, old friendships reconnected (hey, Keshia!) and a support system that I needed.  My family was awesome, too.  They let us take over their lives and move in while we picked up the pieces.  It was a stressful time, one I'm probably still having a little post-traumatic stress from, but the love was felt then and now.

I write about this now because it's what's led me to doing all of this.  

I received a text from a buddy today, congratulating me on my race and that she was proud of me and what I am doing.  I thought that was SO cool!  I'm not going to lie, the benefit of smaller clothes, overall health and goal achieving is awesome sauce.  The support and cheers, however, is the best part. I really felt that I couldn't do this.  That I would never achieve this goal.  Me?  A runner?  Puhhh-leeassse.  I've pooh-poohed doing this for years, really out of fear.  I hate failing, so why put myself in the position to do so?  Now, I'm addicted to it.  I'm freaking borderline obsessed with running.  I want to high-five all the big girls at the gym, and tell them they rock for getting out there.  It's such a crazy change I still can't even believe I just RAN A 5k!  I've already signed up for another one, too!  Who is this person???

Friends, it's hard every day.  The food challenges are still there.  But, I can do this.  I already have and will so again.  I have my village.  My village says get yo ass up and run, girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means the world!