Friday, September 21, 2012

PCOS is a POS

I've been thinking a lot about PCOS lately, and how it majorly affects my weight loss efforts and general health.  I was only diagnosed in December 2009, after I switched OB-GYNs.  My previous doctor, while kind, sweet, and the one that delivered Sawyer, just wasn't listening to me when I said "I think something is wrong."  I kept hearing that I was young, that I had time, and that we had already had one baby without any issues.  All I saw were the months as they went by, one by one.  We really wanted a second child, and it just wasn't happening.  A few months before we decided to start trying I had lost weight, I was working out, I was eating pretty well for someone who had a high stress sales job.  When I went off the pill, it all went to shit.  My body just freaked out and shut down.  I promptly packed on the pounds, my already low energy body was almost lethargic at times and month after month all I ever saw was one pink line.  It was devastating.  I blogged about it on and off on my family blog, and it still makes my heart hurt to read the words I wrote back then.  To top it off, we finally had to resort to using fertility drugs and taking those was almost a full time job in itself.  I have never felt so alone in my life.  Nothing was working, I was a hormonal mess that no one wanted to be around and it was just so hard.  I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it all.  I don't wish it on anyone.  It was the worst.  Obviously we finally got things working and with 150mg of Clomid, along with some progesterone shots and other fun things later, we have our precious Everett!  I wouldn't change any of it, because it made me stronger, but I wish it could have been a bit easier.

So, back to PCOS and weight loss.  The more and more I read, the more I feel like I need to buckle down and change my diet or I'll never see a difference.  I've all but cut out sodas (yay!  This is a major victory.), but I need to do more.  Everything seems to be tied to insulin.  Women with PCOS make excess insulin to regulate blood sugar levels.  They once said diet doesn't matter, but turns out it does.  It's a big deal to cut out junk and concentrate on the proteins and good fats that slow down the digestive process down.  It scares me to think that I'm potentially looking at heart disease or diabetes if I don't get this in check.  It upsets me to know that this will never go away and I'll always be dealing with it.  If it wasn't bad enough going through the fertility issues, now it's just screwing around with my day to day life.  I'm mad that I have this challenge, but I am glad that every victory will be that much sweeter since it was twice as hard to accomplish.

So, I've pretty much given up on C25K for now.  It was a GREAT starting point, but at week 5 it went off the reservation and had me doing long distance runs my body just wasn't quite up to yet.  Along with my friend, we have come up with a plan for the next week to get ready for THE BIG RACE.  I did two miles today, mostly to see how my body did with that distance.  I ran/walked it in 33 minutes doing intervals.  Most of them were 5 minutes running/1.5 minutes walking.  I think I could've done three but I got a phone call that I had to take, so that was the end of that.  My shins hurt a bit, as do my ankles, so I think I'm going to take tomorrow off to rest up.  I'm hoping with the few trainings I have left and the adrenaline that I know I'll have pumping on race day that I'll be able to finish.  I'd love to run the whole thing, and I'll start with that goal, but trust me I won't kick myself if I walk some, too.  I just can't believe its so close!! Seven more days...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means the world!